Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Gym for dummies




Thats my gym in Kota Damansara, Malaysia.

My first ever gym, which will hopefully help me with my Mount Kinabalu climb in April. My 3 times a week training started just 3 weeks back, sometimes i do feel lazy but my determination to reach the peak and not let myself be left behind kept me out of bed some mornings. the three very helpful girls are Yee Mei, sheila and Una working at this ladies only gym, truthfully , i wouldn't know what i should be doing in the gym if it wasn't for them.

I paid RM480 for 3 months, not sure if that was a good deal but because i was two months away from my adventure trip,i just enrolled. Ill share some points i learned along the way

1. Stretching

I always thought i should do a little stretching before i start running, jog, etc, but yee mei said i should have 5 or 10 minutes walk on the treadmill , stop and stretch, after which you can continue jogging or running to prevent tearing your muscles.


2. Duration

For beginners like me, i started with walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes, cycle for 10 minutes and just tried all the leg crunch provided at the gym. make sure after using the treadmill you lower the speed and walk slowly for another 2 minutes or so because if you get off the treadmill right away you will get dizzy ....thats what happened to me on my first try : )

on my third week , i started using the treadmill for 30 mins (speed 4.5 , incline to 11 ) .... as suggested by yee mei, do some running for 2 minutes and walk for 8 mins. when running ill use the speed of 6.5.... remember to monitor your fitness level and see if i can gradually increase your treadmill time instead of just 30 mins try 35 or 40mins.

as you can see, im not that fit.. thats about what i can do for now : )....

Jalan Pju 5/11
Dataran Sunway,
Kota Damansara
Selangor, Malaysia

03-61416733

No comments: